The library is the intellectual hub of the campus. It is used every day by thousands of students, faculty and researchers.
The library is an essential partner in fulfilling the research, teaching and learning mission of the University. The University of Ottawa Library is composed of 3 main libraries - the Morisset Library (Arts and Science), the Brian Dickson Law Library and the Health Sciences Library - in addition to a number of specialized research collections. It has 161 employees, including 46 librarians, serving the students, faculty and employees of the University.
Our spaces: the busiest place on campus
- 12 locations on 3 campuses (Main, Roger-Guindon and Lees)
- Over 2.4 million visits per year
- Extended hours of service: the Morisset Library is open 24 hours a day during exam periods
Our collections: preserving the past, envisioning the future
- 2,341,559 print volumes
- 1.5 million full text article downloads
- 1,168,728 e-books
- 104,783 e-journals
Our services: supporting students, faculty and researchers
- 230 specialized research guides available to consult for disciplines, courses and services
- 602,348 print items borrowed and used in the library
- 15,741 students attended workshops, classes and tours
Mission, vision and values
Mission: our raison d'être
The library advances discovery and the communication of knowledge by connecting members of the University of Ottawa community with global resources that support research, teaching and learning.
Vision: what we aspire to
A leading research library, we are an essential partner in research, teaching and learning. We support the University community by providing:
- Access to world-class resources in the desired format, and at the point and place of need
- Services and support that consistently respond to the needs of students and faculty engaged in the discovery, creation, dissemination and preservation of knowledge
- Physical and virtual environments that spur discovery and creativity
- Leadership and support in navigating the changing terrain of research and of scholarly communication
Values: what defines and drives us
- User-focused services: Our students, faculty and researchers are central to our mission.
- Innovation and responsiveness: We seek to anticipate and respond to the changing needs of our clients and we support risk-taking and experimentation.
- Our bilingual community: We are committed to providing resources and services that consistently meet the needs of our French- and English-language users.
- Strong partnerships: We seek out partnerships, whether on campus or beyond, to strengthen our ability to fulfill our mission.
- Our people: We are committed to providing a stimulating and supportive work environment that fosters excellence.