Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- UWC / CFUW-O
- University Women Club of Ottawa
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Canadian Federation of University Women/Ottawa (CFUW-O) was formed in April 14th, 1910 and incorporated under the name of University Women Club of Ottawa (UWC-O). It was formed by women graduates of various universities living in Ottawa. UWC denomination was changed in 1991 to Canadian Federation of University Women of Ottawa (CFUW-O). The club is a voluntary, self-funded, non-partisan, non-profit organization, open to all women. It is dedicated to the promotion of equality, social justice, fellowship, and life-long learning for women and girls. It provides opportunities to members to socialize, educate and advocate.
The organisation offers opportunities for friendship, learning as part of external outreach groups. Study and interest groups for a wide range of interests including outdoor activities, indoor games, cuisine, book clubs, art, public affairs, music have been formed. Various events have been organized during which expert speakers intervened on educational, political, social, and cultural issues with a focus on equality for women and girls.
UWC/CFUW-O members work on local issues. Their advocacy is always based on policies which have been approved by their members. The UWC was admitted in 1919 to membership in the Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW). The UWC/CFUW-O is also part of Graduate Women International (GWI), formerly International Federation of University Women (IFUM). The UWC/CFUW-O has also been active in both the affairs of the CFUW and the IFUW. They support CFUW-Ontario Council on provincial issues, and the CFUW National Board on national and international issues.
In 1913, the Drama Reading Circle was started. This group grew into the Ottawa Little Theatre. During the First World War, many members were involved in volunteer service with the Red Cross and St. John’s Ambulance. In 1951, the Penal Reform Study Group was responsible for the organization of the Elizabeth Fry Society of Ottawa. In the 60s, the UWC participated in the initiation of the School Volunteer Project “Step By Step”, and the Diplomatic Hospitality Committee was initiated. This committee welcomed hundred of diplomatic visitors to Canada.
The organisation supports university and college students through scholarships and awards. The club began to award university scholarships in 1935. The Scholarship Trust Fund (STF) was formed in September 1983. The purpose of Scholarship Trust Fund is to encourage and support the study and research of those seeking higher education. Through annual appeals, proceeds from various fundraising events, investing, members and friends’ donations, the Fund has given in university scholarship and awards.
Dr. Charlotte Whitton former Mayor of Ottawa, and well-known women have been presidents of the UWC/CFUW-O.