The University of Ottawa is now a member of HathiTrust and is participating in the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS). This means that while the Library is closed due to COVID-19, current students, faculty, and staff can read digitized versions of more than 860,000 in-copyright print books that have been deposited in the HathiTrust Digital Library.
The Emergency Temporary Access Service enables students, faculty and staff:
- To log in to HathiTrust and view all books that HathiTrust has verified as being held in the uOttawa Library’s print collection, even if protected by copyright.
- To read these books online. Books cannot be downloaded. One simultaneous checkout is possible for each copy of a work in our collection.
The ETAS collection is a temporary service. For more information, see “ETAS information for users” on the HathiTrust website.
Digital works that have been made available through HathiTrust’s Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) are solely for the use of a student, staff member, faculty member or library patron of a participating Canadian institution on the basis of fair dealing for research, private study, education, parody, satire, criticism or review only. You may only view and access these digital works for the foregoing purpose(s) during any period that these digital works are made available by the library. Any downloading, reproduction, fixation, distribution, transmission, dissemination, communication, or any other uses, may be an infringement of copyright if done without securing the permission of the copyright owner. You may not distribute, e-mail or otherwise communicate these materials to any other person. Read HathiTrust’s ETAS Terms of Service or contact uOttawa’s Copyright Office for further guidance.
What can I access?
Remember that works in the public domain can be downloaded, while in-copyright materials made available through the ETAS can only be read online. In HathiTrust searches, books now available through the ETAS, will be labelled “Temporary Access”.
- “Temporary Access” books can only be read online.
- You can check out a book for 1 hour. Your access will renew automatically at the end of that hour unless another user is trying to access the book after that hour is over.
- There is no queue or waiting list for books. If the book is already checked out, you will have to try again later.
- Please be courteous and return ETAS books that you have “checked out” when you are no longer using them. This will allow another student or faculty member to have access as soon as possible.
You can also access other books that are part of our regular access to HathiTrust (more than 6.7 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works in HathiTrust, including the ability to download the full text of those works). These are marked “Full View.”
Can’t find what you’re looking for? We may be able to provide an alternate means of access. Contact us for assistance: bibliolibrary@uOttawa.ca
How do I access the collection?
- This will take you to the HathiTrust website. Click the yellow LOG IN button.
- Find and select the University of Ottawa in the list of partner institutions.
- Log in with your uOttawa Library credentials. (Need help?)
- If you came to HathiTrust by clicking a link in an Omni record, search for the title again.
Once you have logged in, you will be able to search and use the HathiTrust Digital Library.
Who can access ETAS?
Only current students, faculty, and staff can access material in the HathiTrust ETAS collection.
Unfortunately, alumni and members of the community, cannot access this collection.
This Emergency Temporary Access Service will only be in place during the pandemic while Library stacks are closed and students are unable to attend in person.