We acquire and preserve archival records that support teaching and research at the University. You can access our collections using our research guide. Special rules apply to the consultation and reproduction.
Consultation and reproduction
As a general rule, the fonds and collections must be consulted on site and may not be borrowed. You must register with a current piece of identification in order to consult documents.
You can access the fonds and collections - however, consultation and reproduction of some documents may be restricted because of privacy, copyright and conservation issues or at the request of the donor.
Our staff will photocopy documents for you as needed, using your student or employee card, or a copycard which can be purchased on the first floor of the Morisset Library.
Reading room regulations
- Users must complete and sign the "Request to Consult Documents" form, and submit it to ARCS staff with a current piece of identification with photo.
- Coats must be placed in the wardrobe. Briefcases, purses and similar items must be placed in a locker.
- Food and drinks are not permitted.
- The reading room is a silent area. Cell phones are not permitted.
- When consulting rare books or multimedia items, users should wear cotton gloves.
- Only note pads, lead pencils and laptop are permitted at the tables. The use of a camera (without the flash) is permitted under specific conditions -staff can provide more information.
- The order of the documents inside a given file must be respected.
- It is forbidden to write on documents, to fold or tear off pages, or to lean on documents. Any document that is damaged or in poor condition should be brought to the attention of staff.
- It is forbidden to remove documents from the Reading Room.
- Access to storage areas is restricted. Staff will bring you the requested documents.
- Staff reserves the right to inspect all coats, briefcases and other containers carried by users leaving our premises.
- No documents will be delivered within 15 minutes prior to closing.
- Indicate the publication's call number in the Documents consulted section and its location (ex. Archives Rare, Archives Ostry, Archives CWMA).
- Indicate the box number and file title or item's call number in the Documents consulted section (ex. Box 1 Ad hoc Women's Coalition Against Racist and Police Violence; (10-001-1-234).