Since most of our buildings are closed, some in-person Library services or resources described on this page are currently unavailable. For more details on how the Library can help this semester, check out our services updates or feel free to email us, chat with us, or reach out to a librarian or specialist in your discipline.
Dr. Lavina Lickley fonds
The fonds consists of records created and/or collected by Dr. Lavina Lickley, primarily between 1989-2002. The fonds contains material related to the proposed merger of Women's College Hospital and the Toronto Hospital Corporation (1989), the proposed closure of Women's College Hospital (1997), and the amalgamation of Sunnybrook & Women's College Health Sciences Centre (1998). Material also relates to the Department of Surgery, the Henrietta Banting Breast Centre and Dr. Lickley's study of Tamozifen and Raloxifene (STAR). The fonds consists of Sunnybrook & Women's College Health Sciences Centre environmental scans, media clippings, reports, presentation handouts and research papers. The fonds is arranged into seven series: S&W environmental scans; Women's College Hospital – Toronto Hospital Corporation merger media clippings and hospital response; Women's College Hospital department of surgery reports; memorabilia collected by Dr. Lavina Lickley; presentation material of Dr. Lavina Lickley; media Clippings collected by Dr. Lavina Lickley; and research papers written by members of the Henrietta Banting Breast Centre.
Dr. Lavina Lickley was born in Toronto on August 11, 1936. She attended Branksome Hall from 1950-1954 and completed a degree in physiology and biochemistry at Victoria College, University of Toronto from 1954-1958. She then entered the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto and graduated with a medical degree in 1962. From 1962-1968, Dr. Lickley completed postgraduate training in surgery at Toronto General Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael's Hospital, and Women's College Hospital. She then attended McGill University, graduating with a PhD in experimental medicine in 1974. While working toward her PhD, she also worked part-time at Scarborough Hospital and the Hospital for Sick Children. Dr. Lickley became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in 1968 and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 1977. Dr. Lickley joined the staff of Women's College Hospital in 1974 as a general surgeon. She was also cross-appointed to the University of Toronto as an associate professor in the departments of Surgery and Physiology. In 1989, Dr. Lickley was appointed Chief of Surgery, a position she held until 2000. As a surgeon, Dr. Lickley focussed on breast cancer and was the principal investigator of research at the Henrietta Banting Breast Centre. She conducted clinical research in breast cancer and was involved in clinical trials of breast cancer prevention. In 1988, she was the recipient of the Bruce Tovee Award, for her contributions to the educational activities of the Department of Surgery. Dr. Lickley gave up surgery in 2006, but continued working with breast cancer patients at Women's College Hospital. During this time, she also ran a clinic for patients with a high-risk of breast cancer out of Princess Margaret Hospital. She retired from practice in 2015.