Since most of our buildings are closed, some in-person Library services or resources described on this page are currently unavailable. For more details on how the Library can help this semester, check out our services updates or feel free to email us, chat with us, or reach out to a librarian or specialist in your discipline.
Women's College Hospital School of Nursing fonds
The fonds consists of the records of the Women's College Hospital School of Nursing. The fonds is arranged into 15 series and contains graduation ceremony invitations, ceremony programmes, yearbooks, minutes, brochures, informational handouts, certificates, lecture notes, policies, newsletters and histories.
Women's College Hospital School of Nursing began in 1915. Its first student was Miss Sarah Jane Glenn, who asked to receive training at the hospital. After two years of instruction from hospital staff, she received a diploma and pin in 1917. The training school and residence was located in a large home on Rusholme Road. Applicants to the school had to supply a certificate of good health and letters to show they had 'sound moral character.' In 1918, the new School of Nursing officially graduated its first class of two students. In 1919, the school expanded its program from 2 years to 2.5 years. In the early 1920s, it was expanded again to 3 years. Early students studied basic medical and surgical nursing, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, public health, dietetics, chemistry, ethics, and parliamentary procedure. Women's College Hospital School of Nursing was accredited in 1922. From 1924 onward, all nursing students from accredited nursing schools were required to pass special examinations by the province of Ontario in order to be recognized as a registered nurse. In 1935, Women's College Hospital moved to its current location at 76 Grenville Street. The nurses' residence also moved at this time, expanding to occupy several residences on Grosvenor Street. In 1955, the nurses' residence expanded again and moved to Burton Hall. In 1973, the Ontario government passed legislation that transferred nursing education from hospitals to universities. While current students continued at Women's College Hospital School of Nursing until graduation, new nursing students enrolled at Ryerson University (then Ryerson Polytechnical Institute). The last nursing class graduated from Women's College Hospital School of Nursing in 1975. Although the School of Nursing formally closed, Women's College Hospital continued to provide clinical experience to nursing students. From 1918-1975, 1,444 nurses graduated from Women's College Hospital School of Nursing.