April 2021 - In light of the recent announcement from the Government of Ontario regarding new restrictions that come into effect on April 3, access to Morisset Library’s study spaces and computer workstations will be closed until further notice. Contactless pickup and scan on demand services remain available. The MRT and RGN book return drop boxes also remain available.
New to the Course Reserve?
The Course Reserve Service allows instructors to set aside (or “reserve”) course materials for the short-term use of their students, including both physical items (books, article printouts, DVDs, kits, etc.) and digital materials (PDFs, e-books, streaming videos, etc.), using the Ares system as a single point of access.
Ready to get started? Follow the instructions below.
Digital Reserve Materials (Ares System)
There are two ways to access your course reserve materials:
- Log in directly to Ares: Enter your uoAccess ID, which is the short name before your @uOttawa.ca email address (e.g.: jsmith), and password.
- If you need help with your uoAccess credentials, contact Information Technology online or by telephone at (613) 562-5800 ext. 6555.
- Access your reading list in Ares through Virtual Campus (if your instructor has activated Ares).
How to view your course reserve material:
- Select a course from the main menu.
- Select an item from the reading list by clicking on the title.
- Digital reserve items can be viewed by selecting View this item. A link to the material, or, alternately the PDF can then be viewed.
- For physical materials available on reserve, the call number and pick up location is listed in the item record. (See "Physical Reserve Materials".)
Helpful Tips for Ares
- Under class details for each course you have the option of subscribing to email notifications by adding your email address. Once an item is processed and available you will receive an email.
- Create a list of favourites that you will use often and it will always appear in the main menu.
- Assign personal tags to organize or group your readings.
How many physical course reserve items can I borrow at one time?
A maximum of 3 items can be borrowed at once.
Can I leave the library with physical course reserve material?
Yes! Library materials that have been placed on reserve are generally permitted to leave the library. In some cases, however, materials owned by your professor will be limited to in-library use only.
Can I renew reserve materials?
No, not immediately: materials must be returned to allow other students a chance to borrow them. Please ask the staff at the service desk when the material will be available again.