Important Changes at the Library this Fall
Since most of our buildings are closed, some in-person Library services or resources described on this page are currently unavailable. For more details on how the Library can help this semester, check out our services updates or feel free to email us, chat with us, or reach out to a librarian or specialist in your discipline.
Information

Leonore Saunders fonds

Media Type: 
Textual record
Call Number / Archival Reference Number: 
MSS 276
STEM Field: 
Physiotherapy
Description: 
The fonds contains textual records which pertain to Leonore Saunders’ involvement with the University of Manitoba Faculty Women’s Association and the Medical Faculty Women’s Association/Club, including constitutions from various years in which she was involved, contact lists, and histories of the Association.  In addition, the fonds contains University of Manitoba grants reports, the First International Congress on Group Medicine notes, pamphlets, and conference dinner invitations.
Biography/Administrative History: 
Leonore Saunders came to Canada in 1949 from Manchester, England. Having attained a diploma in physical therapy in England, Saunders was responsible for assisting with the legal process of having physical therapy become a certi­fied occupation in Manitoba. The Physiotherapy Bill 39 became law on March 30, 1957.  She attended the University of Manitoba’s School of Medical Rehabilitation (S.M.R.) and graduated from the program in 1972. Saunders was involved in social activities including the Faculty Women’s Association of the University of Manitoba, of which she was President from 1968 to 1969, and serving as the Chairman of the Medical Faculty Women’s Association/Club in 1970.  Saunders was married to Faculty of Medicine staff member, Dr. Michael G. Saunders, allowing her to represent the medical department in these women’s organizations comprised of faculty members and spouses of faculty members.
Date(s): 
1960-1986
Extent: 
0.02 m of textual records
Province: 
MB
Hosting Institution: 
University of Manitoba
Collection Contact: 
archives@umanitoba.ca 
Back to top